ENGAGE STUDENTS - EMPOWER TEACHERS - TRANSFORM SCHOOLS
Robin Pohlman - Literacy, School Attuned, IB PYP, Reader's Workshop, Everyday Math
I am a member of the 1st grade teaching team at Lausanne Collegiate School in Memphis. Along with an education degree from the University of Memphis and over 30 years of experience in an elementary setting, I am formally trained in Schools Attuned, PYP-IB, and Reading and Writing Workshop. I am currently a Tennessee Association of Independent Schools liaison. I recently served on Lausanne’s Assessment Committee realigning new math, reading, and writing standards for elementary grades. Leadership roles have included Lead Teacher for grades 1 and 2, Technology Mentor, and Lower School Math Team Leader.
I have wanted to be a teacher since I was in the first grade. As a teacher, I believe in providing children with a fun and nurturing learning environment that allows them to grow and learn. My biggest joy is watching children as they grow and develop a love for reading.
I have been a presenter at LLI Memphis, LLI Mississippi, and LLI Miami. With the LLI, I have been able to meet with teachers and workshop the benefits of the reading and writing workshop format, technology as a math resource, and backwards designed lesson plans. I enjoy meeting with fellow teachers and sharing practices that inspire growth in all learners.
The research outcomes for using reading and writing workshop format and backwards design in the classroom are:
- teaches deeper meaning
- student engagement
- focuses on student learning and understanding
- authentic assessments
- peer collaboration
- allows for differentiation
- enriches and challenges the learner
Engage Robin Pohlman
If you would like to engage Robin, please fill in the form below or email email@example.com. Robin’s contact information is below if you would like to talk to her directly.
As a Lausanne Learning Consultant, Robin exemplifies the LL Five Consulting Characteristics:
- Student-Centered Character: LL Consultants always keep each student at the center of the conversation in imagining what “could be” from “what is”
- Sustaining Character: LL Consultants are focused on working with the school to implement practices that can be sustained over the long term to support the school’s mission
- Imaginative Character: LL Consultants are expert and thus can imagine different answers as you interrogate the key question or questions that you are being asked
- Independent Character: LL Consultants ensure that their clients become independent of them over time, not co-dependent
- Fearless Character: LL Consultants won’t tell their clients what they want to hear but what, in their professional opinion, should be said
1st Grade Teacher
Lausanne Collegiate School
1381 West Massey Road
Memphis, TN 38120